Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Haiti Mission Trip - Day 1, Part 2

Last time, we left off halfway through my cross country journey from Washington to Miami, Florida, where I met the other members of the Forward Edge International team going to Jacmel, Haiti on July 10, 2010. Again, text is from the journal I kept during that time, with side comments "in the now" in italics.

******

July 9, 2010
11:30am local time (10:30am Pacific)
Denver International Airport

Just loaded into the plane headed to Charlotte.  Had my first mini panic attack while waiting in the hallway to board.  Still a little shaky. 

I had a nice visit with Mark and Sharon [Eric's parents] at the airport.  We were able to hang out for a little over an hour.  It was good to see them.  Sharon is obviously looking forward to visiting Eric and the kids. They had lots of questions about my trip and updated me on the goings-on with the Denver family.  They encouraged me many times for being brave and adventurous. I need to remember it now.

I AM BRAVE AND ADVENTUROUS!

So, panic attack details.  [Like many anxiety sufferers, I always find it helps me calm down if I name the anxiety or talk about the symptoms I am feeling. I decided it would be better to do that in writing this time, rather than suddenly announcing a list of "symptoms" to random plane travellers in my general vicinity. Didn't want to be kicked off the plane for being disruptive!]  Waiting in line in the little hallway. Stomach queasy. Hot. Took deep breaths.  Ran through "worst case scenario" (sick on plane). Reminded myself that I am just taking a plane trip today.  Got to my seat.  Turned on the air vent.  Turned on my IPod, listening to Third Day.  I'm going to read my book again soon.  This plane is bigger, so it is taking a long time to load. Blech.

I need to eat something soon. I've been up 7 hours with just a latte so far.  Not hungry though.  It looks like boarding is FINALLY done.  If so, then I scored and the seat next to me is empty, except the aisle lady's giant bag.  She's a little "fancy". [Older, very well dressed, gigantic jewelry, a little too much makeup] 

One thing I talked about to Mark and Sharon is the number of people who have told me they would like to do a mission trip sometime.  I told them I'd like to try to help form a little group to do a US mission trip maybe next year. 

Door closed - empty middle seat! Hooray! [Oh, the joy of the small things in life! Hey! I'm 5'10, I can use that extra leg room!]

-----

Halfway through the flight. Ate 1/2 a bagel.  Just got ice water from the flight attendant.  He called me "Kiddo". Ha... The fancy lady took off her shoes before we took off and seat belted them to the middle seat. That is very weird. 

July 9, 2010
5:45pm local time (2:45pm Pacific)
Charlotte Airport

I finished my book on the plane.  I have another one, but I think I might buy one if I have time at the airport so I don't run out of reading in Haiti.
------

I just bought The Hunger Games [which I had been wanting to read -- the Charlotte airport was a treasure trove of reading material for some reason.  The little stand I stopped at was packed with books on my "to read" list.]  and a small sub sandwhich that cost $8! What a rip-off.  Waiting to board.  The flight is on time but there are lots of other delayed flights.  It's entertaining to watch business people trying to "nicely" put pressure on the airline people. Like the gate person decides about flight delays.  Time to board! 2 hours to go for today. 

July 9, 2010
10pm local time (7pm Pacific)
Hotel in Miami, Florida

My flight to Miami was pretty uneventful.  My seat neighbor was a woman travelling to Peru with Young Life for a missions trip.  She was very nice.  There were a lot of Italian guys on the plane too. I don't know why. 

As we flew in to Miami, I remembered again how ugly I think Florida is.  But, I imagined flying in over Haiti tomorrow and seeing the tent cities.  Unimaginable still. 

I have to be up at 6:30am Eastern tomorrow [3:30am "my time"]  so I'm going to take my Ambien and go to bed.

********
Tomorrow: I finally get to Haiti!

1 comment:

  1. The "Fancy Lady" shoes buckled into the seat between you still has me laughing! I have found airports to provide some of the very best people watching! Last year in San Francisco I watched and endless parade of Mormon Missionaries deplane. There had to be 45+! All but 3 were of some kind of Asian heritage. For some reason, this amused me enough to text Chris about it.

    ReplyDelete